Other Grants


I’ve had some experience now with searching out grants for individual clients in need (as opposed to grants to the charity as a whole) and have found a few grantmakers that keep coming up. I thought it would be useful to put together a document with this information all in one place for easy reference.

Turn2Us: http://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/
This is a free service to help match up people in need with grantmakers who can potentially help them. You will need to know the person’s UK postcode (if they have one), gender and age. You enter this information and the site will come up with details of grantmakers that fit these criteria in the person’s local area. Simple and straightforward to use. You can also use it to find information about benefit entitlements. It makes sense to try this resource first, as there are far too many small local grantmakers to list here.

The Salvation Army is a national charity with local and regional branches which gives small grants (usually up to £150) to individuals. They have a very short application form and they seem to respond within about two weeks or so. I have contacted the Leicestershire branch twice on behalf of clients at Good Friday Caravan Site and both applications were successful; I have found them to be very friendly, professional and quick to respond. Google ‘Salvation Army + [the region where your client lives]’ to find information; you might have to call or email them to request an application form.

The Talisman Trust (http://www.talismancharity.org) makes grants to people ‘of small means’ (i.e. poor), at their discretion, but the application must come from a charity, CAB or local authority on behalf of a client. They make grants for ‘the relief of poverty’ which can include education, health, housing and disability.

Before applying, you need to make sure that the funds you’re asking for won’t be replacing any state benefits; however, some people will be eligible for a grant although they are also entitled to benefits. It depends on the individual case.

Applications should be made by letter, on headed paper, and sent by post. There is a list here of the information that you need to include in the letter: http://www.talismancharity.org/?page_id=73 . In some circumstances, they ask for supporting documents. It takes about 2 to 8 weeks for them to decide, and you will only hear from them if you are successful.

The Frank Buttle Trust makes grants exclusively to benefit children and young people. This can be either households with children aged 18 or under or young people aged 20 or under who are living independently because they are orphaned or estranged from their families. Maximum grant is usually about £300.

The Newby Trust makes grants of up to £250 for individuals and families in crisis. The application must be made by an organisation on behalf of a client. They will usually only fund cases where someone’s poverty is made worse by other problems such as bereavement, abuse, divorce, homelessness, disability, ill health etc. They will give grants to a wide range of people including vulnerable young people under 25 without family support, including care leavers; domestic abuse victims; single older people; disabled people and those with physical or mental health conditions. They are also willing to help people with substance abuse problems but normally on condition that they are in recovery.

They fund a wide range of items to help meet basic needs, including furniture, white goods and baby equipment. They will also sometimes fund other things such as rent deposits, household repairs or adaptations, mobility equipment and course fees.

Applications must be made online via a short form: http://www.newby-trust.org.uk/individual-application-form/ . It takes about two weeks for them to make a decision and, if you are successful, about four weeks to send a cheque.

The Ogilvie Charities is a group of charities that mainly run sheltered accommodation schemes for elderly people but also give grants for essential household items that are not supplied by statutory agencies, such as beds and bedding, cookers, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines and clothes. Their main priority is households where someone has incontinence or another medical condition.

They request contact by post or email through a ‘social worker, community nurse or similar professional agency’ and have no application form as such, just a list of points to include. Most grants are £100 to £200 and take about 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Always Look on the Bright Side Of Life makes grants for children and young people under 18 who are disadvantaged by poverty, illness and/or other reasons. www.thebrightsideoflife.org.uk

The Glasspool Trust mainly gives grants to help people over a short-term crisis. They have no restrictions on who can apply (except that applications have to be made by an organisation on behalf of a client) but many of their grants go to women who have experienced domestic violence and single people with mental health problems. They will fund a wide range of needs including white goods, bedding and other essential household items, clothes, things for babies, certain kinds of travel expenses and quite a few other things. The average grant size is £230 and they try to consider applications within 10 days. www.glasspool.org.uk

The Vicar’s Relief Fund makes grants to support people who are homeless, at risk of being made homeless, or have been homeless and are now trying to establish or maintain a tenancy. The average grant is about £200 and they aim to respond very quickly (sometimes within 2 days) to avert a crisis. https://charity.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/grants/

The League of the Helping Hand makes grants to help people of any age who are in hardship due to any form of physical or mental illness or disability, including carers. Applications have to be made by an organisation on behalf of a client. They will fund essential household items such as cookers, fridges, washing machines, bedding and carpets; daily living expenses, food and heating costs; clothes; specialist equipment and travel expenses for hospital visits. Grants range from £50 to £250. www.lhh.org.uk

The Florence Nightingale Aid in Sickness Trust gives grants to people who are ill or disabled for items that will improve their quality of life in ways that are directly related to their illness or disability – for example, fridges for drug storage, washing machines and specialist medical equipment. www.fnaist.org.uk